Friday, July 25, 2008

Wondering about the rain

After a day of pouring rain, I got to wondering what I should do if I'm ever stuck on it in the scooter. I don't have raingear, so I guess I should buy some, but that's pretty pricey. My boyfriend has been looking for some reasonably priced rain gear for a while now. It looks like he'll have to spend the $100 or so.
The reason rain gear is so expensive, I believe, is it has to stand up to wind whipping against it.
My boyfriend bought a cheap rain suit one year, and after an hours drive down the highway, all that was left on his soaking wet body were a couple of strings around his wrists and ankles. The suit literally shredded and flew off him.
If you've ever been on a motorcycle you know that rain is no fun. It can be hard when you're just standing in it, but add speed and those little drops feel like bullets. They sting against your exposed sking.
No fun.
Add to that the slipperiness of wet pavement and it can be a nightmare to ride in the rain. When you only have two wheels, your traction can be lost a lot faster than in a car. And you're already distracted by the discomfort of being soaked, pelted by bullet like raindrops and then freezing to death because you are trying to get somewhere fast and the wind is whicking away all your body heat.
Bleck.
But I'm also concerned about the scooter. I'm thinking we need to cover the exposed wires so I don't wind up with a shorted out headlight at the worst of times. I'm also wondering how slippery the foot rest will become in rain and if there are any parts to the scooter that could start to corrode if I'm caught out in the rain too often.
This isn't a new scooter so I don't think it was manufactured for everyday driving, like many new scoots are.
Guess for now it's a fair weather ride.

No comments: