Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tottering along

Well, I'm a little nervous about the headlight, since it dims a great deal when the bike isn't running full force. Also because my boyfriend had to splice the wires together since someone (or thing) chewed them up and they weren't connected.
We also need to figure out how to get a proper title for this scooter. The only thing we've got is a piece of paper that served as the receipt and is written in Chinese.
My boyfriend's cousin never got a proper title for it and I'm assuming he'd have to be involved in this somehow.
The one thing I'm not nervous about? Whether or not I can drive it.
I didn't crash!
I was very nervous. So nervous that I forgot my helmet after nagging my boyfriend to wear his. It was like those stop smoking commercials that say "If you can quit smoking you can do anything."
Smoking has never been one of my habits, but I felt so distracted and numb, my mind not working right.
My friends know craziness and daring are my habits, but I was very worried that this daring move could kill me.
As I traveled to Memorial Park to meet my boyfriend who had scooted on ahead, I could barely focus on driving. Not a good sign.
Taking deep breaths as I stood there, I tried to listen as closely as possible as my boyfriend gave me instructions. I just had to remember not to grab the throttle when I was trying to brake.
So I get on, push it off the stand, and start it up, forgetting to hold the back brake at first. But I got it going. As I let it move foreward I was afraid to take my feet off the ground and put them on the footrest. I worried that I wouldn't be able to stop myself from either falling over or rocketing forward. (Like that would make a difference if I'm going very fast.)
Cramps started to plague my legs since I was holding them funny so I took a rest as my boyfriend scooted around the parking lot.
Eventually I felt comfortable enough to put up my feet. It was a little hard to keep it steady going slow, but I was too nervous to give it more gas.
My boyfriend showed me how to do a couple of turns, telling me to look where I wanted to go. Apparently the worst thing you can do is stare at the scooter, cause you lock up.

I tried it, and it worked! I didnt dump the scooter!
So I did a couple of more turns but decided to quite while I was ahead.

No comments: