Tuesday, September 1, 2009

And I crashed it

All during motorcycle class my boyfriend told me I should 'dump it,' meaning drop the bike. I didn't want to. I was stressed so much that if I had, I wouldn't have completed the course. I'd be too rattled.

Then I got my brand-new Vino and I was even more worried.

My boyfriend had already voiced concern that I would get seriously hurt if I bought a scooter. I think watching 10 people drive extremely poorly on a parking lot for two days squashed his past hopes of us speeding around Berks County on motobikes together.

He was worried I could die.

So when I slid out after going around a curve too wide on my first full day of riding the Vino, he almost had a heart attack.

He was riding his Honda 599 ahead of me. We'd both gone to Phoenixville, Pa.'s first ever Bike Day, and had a good time. We were heading home, and he had gone ahead of me. I had to wait for a traffic light. (Let's face it, my scooter will never go as fast as his motorcycle so I'll be spending a LOT of time stuck at lights he's raced through.)

As I went forward, I noticed a car coming out of this side road. I guess I looked at it a little too long cause when I went around the corner, I turned too wide and ended up in the opposing lane of traffic.

Bad, real bad. I panicked because I saw a car ahead. Mind you it was, like, a mile ahead of me, but I panicked and tried to turn, slow down and speed up all at the same time, and found myself sliding on my side, the whole time thinking "oh, no, my scooter."

Two very nice gentlemen came running out of the nearby gas station and helped me up and out of the road. The driver of the car, luckily stopped and also asked about my state.

Surprisingly I was just fine, but a truck driver who passed by told my boyfriend about it as he waited for me up ahead.

My boyfriend said his heart just sunk. I don't blame him. I'm shocked I didn't have more than a scraped knee, but my jeans didn't even look damaged.

Damn lucky. Think I'll stick to parking lots for a while.

No comments: