Friday, August 21, 2009

Too good to be true?

I saw this ad on eBay and I don't know if it's heaven sending me a gift, or an offer that just shouldn't be trusted. I would drop everything here in a heartbeat and buy this place. (Though I'd have to be able to pay off all my debts too.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160344968985&Category=2992&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_6979wt_1075

This guy says he is selling a scooter rental shop on Redington Shore, Fla.'s sandspit of land, right near the Isle of Capris, for $79,000, and that the business brings in $120,000 a year. He claims he is selling it so low and for so cheap because his wife, who has parents in Fort Lauderdale about a day's drive away on the other side of Florida, wants to move back to where her family is.

Maybe there is a health crisis and they need to be closer to the 'rents, who knows? Or maybe it is a complete and utter scam.

He claims he needs to be paid in cash or bank check and that the buyer only has to pay off the other $14,000 (out of the $79,000) to him after they've been trained on how to run the shop. He says the lease is paid in full.

Everything comes with the shop: scooters, skateboards, bicycles, a dock on the inner coastal waterway, and all the tools and parts in the repair shop, including a truck for delivery and pickup.

It's near a lot of hotels and yacht docking areas that look full on Google maps, but is this a scam?

It's listed several times on ebay by the same seller and it's only been up for 28 days the most.

As I sit here, stressed out about the idiocy of online commenters who are writing things that have lawyers call us and threaten to sue and wonder why I got into journalism (it wasn't to deal with that bullshit), I wish I had the money to just pick up and go. But I barely have anything saved and a large amount of debt, so I'm hesitant. Maybe if I'd seen this a year or two from now I'd jump on it, but I"m concerned about ending up homeless and destitute in Florida.

And it's killing me.

There is one possibility I just considered. Thinking about where this building is located, on the Gulf side of the Florida coast, maybe this business only looks good in old pictures. Maybe the whole area right now is being destroyed by Hurricane Bill (Don't know what happened there since I just woke up and haven't had time to check the news.).

Or maybe everything around it has and business has dried up.

No comments: